Home   Messages   Forums   Classified Ads

Banner Finds

dirtdigger1581 rottonr HEAVYMETALNUT HEAVYMETALNUT Relic jamesbibb HEAVYMETALNUT dirtdigger1581

Support Relichunting.Net - Click Here For eBay! Belgium Ireland Netherlands Spain United Kingdom France Australia Italy Canada United States Of America      We're On Facebook!

Click Here To Register At Relichunting.Net!

Google Search

Login

Relic Hunting Books

Partners

Get listed today on Metal Detectives USA!

MetalDetectives UsaCom

Create Your Badge

Coinhunting.Net

Bookmark Us

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

GAR Lapel Button.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: GAR Lapel Button.
GAR Lapel Button. 6 Years, 10 Months ago  
I found this sweet little item in a vacant lot. Gave me a perfect penny signal, about 2 inches deep. I first thought it was a fancy rivet, but when I cleaned it up at home and looked through my jewelers loupe, this is what I saw. After a quick search on the google I found it is a lapel button from the Grand Army of the Republic. My second GAR relic. I also found my 30th silver coin for this year, a 1960 Roosevelt Dime.
Redd
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: GAR Lapel Button. 6 Years, 10 Months ago  
In the center is the figure of the goddess Minerva, who represents Loyalty. A soldier and a sailor flank her, clasping hands. These are symbolic of Fraternity. Below the veterans are two children, representing Charity "receiving the benediction and protection of these Comrades" , in the words of the official circular describing the new badge, promulgated in early 1870.

Taken from "Grand Army of the Republic - Department of Wisconsin" by Thomas McCrory
Redd
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

The Grand Army of the Republic was founded in 1866 by Benjamin F. Stephenson in Decatur, Illinois. Membership was open to Union Civil War veterans of the various armed services who served between 1861 and 1865. Its mission was to support the huge veteran population by helping to provide pensions, medical care for the disabled, and support to orphans and widows. In 1868, it declared May 30th as a day to honor those who had fallen in battle, which today is recognized as Memorial Day. Members also founded the Old Soldiers Home, which eventually became the United States Department of Veteran Affairs.
Redd
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Cool find and excellent photos Redd! You taught me a lesson on the GAR. I lived near Decatur back in the 70s and never knew the organization started there plus I didn't know about the connection to Memorial Day. AWESOME!!!
Relic
Keep your coil to the soil!
graph

Nice find,...I once found a G.A.R. medal on the grounds of an old training school in Adrian, Michigan. The medal commemorated the "Silver Anniversary" - 25th encampment of the G.A.R. The designs on both sides is similar to your button. The medal listed dates in 1891 and the event was held in Detroit. I can't tell what kind of metal it's made from but it's the size of a silver dollar and it was quite deep. It was a thrill to think that a Civil War Vet once owned it.

Greg
mspsarge
Fly the flag and honor the Vets
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
Moderators: Relic, jamesbibb